sometime ago i made a pact with myself that i would not use flowers on showpieces any longer. it was too easy, too repetitive and just plain silly as the world of sculpture would be very boring if all we made were flowers. a few weeks ago i had a relapse…
every so often i go on the internet to see what is going on in the competition world. several years ago i stopped following this circuit as i felt that it had become repetitive and had lost touch with reality. dining in several competitors restaurants showed me that what was seen in competition and what was served on buffets and in the restaurant were two very different products… i will stop that rant there. so i was looking at pictures and started my usual mental griping that every showpiece was made from the same curves and flowers. this led to frustration because my most recent projects were broken during construction by yours truly. i would like to think that this was because i was playing with less traditional designs. my ego was damaged and i needed some reassurance that i could still make a showpiece stand up so back to curves and flowers. i forgot how easy it is.
with that out of my system it was time to return to another idea. this was an experiment with color. i found a technique that was used for clay and wanted to see if i could apply it to chocolate. my theory was that if it worked with clay why not chocolate clay. success meant a whole new world of color and shape technique. i made some clay and went to work. sorry my pictures are not step by step.